Thursday, March 26, 2009

What makes a novel "a classic"?

A classic.
A book that has, over time, become a "must read".
It is either of great quality, recognized for its value as a work of art or, the first of its kind, most likely breaking the tradition ways of writing. 

For me, it means I will most likely have to read it while at school. I'm not really sure why most of the books we read are classics. They all seem to contain taboo topics or strange themes. I guess I understand why books are classics, but I don't always agree that they should be.
 
Reading classics do expand your thinking, however. I've always found myself learning things about time periods, or the thoughts of people at the time. It is also very interesting to learn about authors of classics. A lot of them have strange life experiences that are reflected in their stories. 
Hmmm classics. 

No comments: