Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Catcher.Rye.3

So...again on Catcher... today I reached chapter 17 (wow..i need to finish it by monday), and I hit a point where I was kind of shocked at Holden. He was on his date with Sally and they had decided to go skating at Radio City. After realizing how horrible they both were at skating, they went to order drinks (Holden drinks something every few paragraphs). They started off with a normal conversation, and then all of a sudden, Holden gets this plan to run off with Sally in his friends car to Massachusetts and Vermont where they would stay in cabin camps, he would get a job, and they would get married. He starts yelling this plan at Sally and I don't think he was in his right mind at the moment, because Sally keeps telling him to stop yelling, and he seriously believes he wasn't. She gets upset and tells he how they are still only kids and how his plan is ridiculous. After fighting for a while he just turns around and says that she is a "royal pain in the ass". I mean seriously, he is proposing one minute and saying that she gets on his nerves the next. 
This section of the book is important though, because it shows how Holden doesn't want to grow up like everyone else. He doesn't want to go to school and then college and then off to a job with a briefcase. I'm not really sure if I know what he wants, and I don't even think HE knows what he wants...but its not the normal everyday life of everyone else. He doesn't want a "phoney" life. 

Anyways...I'm off to continue in my reading....woot...woot...

1 comment:

@llison said...

Holden is so weird. I did not really get the part with Sally either. I like your point about Holden not wanting to grow up "with a briefcase job" and I think that that describes him well. He definitely needs to find a job that changes daily and interests him or he will go completely insane (if he isn't already).

good luck on finishing the book (Holden would hate me for saying "good luck" but I only mean it in a positive way :)

@llison